News • 21 February 2023
Sweden supports webinar series on marine spatial planning
This spring, the Swedish Agency of Marine and Water Management is teaming up with the Nairobi Convection to advance marine spatial planning in East Africa.
The Nairobi Convention in collaboration with SwAM, the Swedish Agency of Marine and Water Management, are hosting a webinar series on marine spatial planning in the first quarter of 2023.
– We are expecting around 40 participants from six countries in East Africa’s Western Indian Ocean region, says Ida Lindbergh, analyst at SwAM. The participants will be from ministries, universities, research institutes and others with an interest in marine spatial planning and development of the blue economy.
The purpose of the webinar series is to increase the understanding of marine spatial planning, or MSP in short, its key elements and how it can be applied in local and national contexts. It will also support the intentions and implementation of the Western Indian Ocean MSP Framework.
The webinar series includes five training modules running February to April:
- MSP for blue economy in the context of marine and coastal management
- The MSP process, including stakeholder participation
- Data and information for planning
- Assessment of the effects of the plan
- Transnational cooperation
The work is part of SwAM Ocean – improving lives through sustainable use of the ocean.