The UN has develped a global agenda with goals for the people, for the planet and for prosperity. The agenda seeks to eradicate poverty, foster peaceful, just and inclusive societies and have the vast ambition to lead humanity towards a sustainable economic, social and environmental development.
The 2030 Agenda – for global sustainability
The agenda comprises 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) and 169 targets meant to promote the economic, environmental, and social dimensions of sustainable development. Actions toward one goal will affect the ability to reach other goals. Therefore the implementation is in need of an integrated approach and depend upon commitments from the entire society.
More about the 2030 Agenda
- The UN’s website for the Sustainable Development Goals
- Sweden’s efforts with the Sustainable Development Goals
Which sustainability goals are we working with?
All of the goals in the agenda have linkages to water. This is because aquatic ecosystems are basic prerequisites for sustainable social and economic development. In SwAM we mainly focus on the goals that have the strongest ties to our areas of responsibility:
- goal 6 on clean water and sanitation for all
- goal 14 on oceans and marine resources
- goal 15 on ecosystems and biodiversity.
The following goals also provide guidance for our international development cooperation: goal 1 on eliminating poverty, goal 2 on achieving food security, goal 5 on equality and goal 17 on global partnership.
We are active in the implementation of the sustainable development goals, not the least through our work for sustainable management of water, of the marine environment and of fishery. We have also reported on several government assignments and are now involved in several other tasks concerning the agenda.
- We have reported on an assignment that outlines which goals and targets that our agency have the most impact on, including descriptions of how our activities and responsibilities contribute to achieving these goals. This report also contains information on linkages between the agenda goals and the Swedish environmental objectives. (2016)
- We have completed and reported on an assignment where we gave support to the government concerning The United Nation’s Ocean Conference, 2017.
- We have reported on an assignment about our contributions to the agenda goals in focus at the High Level Panel Forum (HLPF) 2018 on Sustainable Development – water and sanitation, sustainable energy, cities, production and consumption, ecosystems and biodiversity and global partnerships. (2018)
- We are now supporting the government in following-up the voluntary commitments made at the United Nation's Ocean Conference, 2017. Commitments where Swedish actors are involved. (2018)
- We are to report to the government on our work for goal 14, especially concerning voluntary commitments made by the Swedish government at the United Nation’s Ocean Conference, 2017. (2018)
- We are following the processes within the UN concerning the nine Communities of Ocean Action for supporting implementation of goal 14.
- We are assisting the government in producing good examples of achievements in our work towards the goals in focus at the High Level Panel Forum (HLPF) 2018. Possibly also in producing new, Swedish voluntary commitments. (2018)