Ocean literacy – for better decisions
Ocean literacy is an understanding of the ocean’s influence on you – and your influence on the ocean.
The ocean is a source of life. It provides oxygen, food, jobs and wellbeing.
Half of the oxygen we breathe comes from the ocean. Much of the protein we eat come from the ocean.
7 Principles of Ocean Literacy
- The Earth has one big ocean with many features.
- The ocean and life in the ocean shape the features of Earth.
- The ocean is a major influence on weather and climate.
- The ocean makes Earth habitable.
- The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems.
- The ocean and humans are inextricably interconnected.
- The ocean is largely unexplored.
Ocean is vital to economy and wellbeing
- 350 million jobs are linked to fisheries and aquaculture
- 80 percent of global trade is transported by sea
- 1 billion people depend on fish as their primary source of protein
In addition, 10 percent of all jobs around the world are linked to tourism, and quite a big share of all tourism is dependent on the ocean.
For better decision, all around the world
Join the growing group from all around the world for better decisions – get ocean literate!
Ocean Literacy Principle #1 – UNESCO
Ocean Literacy Portal, at IOC-UNESCO – Sharing the World’s Ocean Knowledge