Key research needs for sustainable management of the Baltic Sea
The aim of this project was to review the present state of scientific knowledge for the Baltic Sea and to identify research priorities from an environmental management perspective.
The following five topics were found to have particularly critical research needs from an environmental management perspective:
- Ecosystem based-fisheries management. Implementation with enhanced evaluation of adaptive management systems in order to continuously build up knowledge.
- Relationships between pressure-impact-effectiveness of measures, including social indicators for the design and monitoring of measures.
- Mapping of marine habitats and more knowledge of food webs (interactions and dynamics).
- Cumulative effects of hazardous substances and other pressures.
- Mainstreaming climate change adaptation in sectorial policies and management frameworks.